Re: Turning image interpolation off.

From: Tavmjong Bah <tav.w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 17:27:08 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Paul LeBeau <paul.lebeau@gmail.com>, Robert Longson <longsonr@gmail.com>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 07:47 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 2:53 AM, Paul LeBeau <paul.lebeau@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Firefox supports -moz-crisp-edges currently
> >
> > However it seems that if you then apply a filter to the image, the effect is
> > lost.  I guess the intermediate bitmap is being plotted with interpolation
> > and is ignoring the image-rendering setting.
>
> Yes, the property only controls how the browser scales an image, nothing else.
>
> ~TJ

Inkscape users are asking for this (in SVG). I just added support this
week for 'optimizeSpeed' as a work-around for keeping up-scaled bitmaps
blocky. This was considered a "blocking" bug for getting the next
version of Inkscape out (no pun intended).

A few comments and questions about the CSS Images spec:

1. It isn't completely clear the difference between 'crips-edges' and
'pixelated' on up-scaling. Will they result in essentially the same
image on up-scaling? A figure here would be of great help.

2. It might be better to treat 'optimizeSpeed' as 'crisp-edges'. That
would seem to match what Firefox currently does.

3. What is the time frame for this spec? How stable is it?

Tav