Re: Handling of orient="auto" markers

On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 22:06 +1200, Paul LeBeau wrote:
> > Due to the option of rounded corners
>

> Ah yes.  Good point.  I had forgotten about that.  Still it seems like
> it might be reasonable to allow it though - as long as rx & ry are
> zero.
>
> On 27 May 2013 20:38, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de> wrote:
>         Tavmjong Bah:
>
>         >Inkscape does put markers on a rect... but with start/end
>         markers on one
>         >corner.

Actually, after further experimentation, while Inkscape will render
markers on rectangle corners in existing files, it won't let you add
them.

>         Due to the option of rounded corners, the areas of the corners
>         should
>         be full of markers, especially if the radius is small or zero.
>         Is this done properly and if - is this a useful behaviour
>         especially for the
>         zero case?
>         This can be a reason, why this shape is currently excluded.

Inkscape will render two markers for each corner, one at the beginning
of the arc and one at the end. It seems that Inkscape's behavior is more
by accident than by design.

>         For polyline and polygon it is defined, that they are
>         equivalent to
>         specific paths, but not for rect. With circle and ellipse
>         these are
>         specific cases.

The SVG WG has talked about allowing rounded corners on paths. I don't
think a specific plan has yet been put forward.

Tav