Re: Thoughts about variable-width strokes in SVG2

Hi Rik,

Thanks for your feedback here.

(2013/05/07 13:00), Rik Cabanier wrote:
>     Regarding question 1 (how to position the widths), option (A) is
>     problematic. Every time you add a point to the <polyline> you would
>     have to adjust all the other stroke width offsets since they are
>     based on a percentage of the path length and the path length has
>     changed. That's clumsy and slow (and speed really matters for this
>     app on mobile).
>

> How common would that be?
> Even so, you have to stroke again if you add a point so the calculation
> needs to be redone anyway.

I guess I didn't explain the use case very well. You add a point to the
<polyline> on every single pointer event, i.e. several times a second.

I'm focussing on the useability from an *authoring* point of view, not
an *implementation* point of view.

 From an authoring point of view, using approach (A), in script you have
to recalculate *all* the offsets on *every* pointer event.

Using approach (C) you don't need to calculate anything.

Best regards,

Brian