Re: svg for world map

To complement the other answers, at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blank_maps you can find some
useful SVG blank maps.
For most of these maps all the features of each country are grouped
under an SVG element having as an id the two-letters ISO code of the
country.
So selectively changing appearance or providing event listeners is
thus quite straightforward (having some knowledge of DOM, JavaScript
and event handling).

Miguel