RE: two thoughts on lengthAdjust="" modes

> The second is being able to say that the adjustment should only be
> performed when the actual text length is greater than the author's specified length.
> If the text is shorter, in many cases I think the author would prefer
> to have the text shown as is, rather than expanded out to fit textLength="".

I strongly disagree. The reason I use these adjustments has been to ensure that text condenses or stretches to the exact size needed for things like viewports, buttons, etc. Given the browser idiosyncrasies in how font-families are rendered, together with inconsistencies in how browsers give feedback on getBBox() and other messages applied to characters, how else is an author able to get things to fit.

I've not had a chance to experiment with the new nightly build, Cameron, but thanks for working on this and for letting us know about it!

Cheers
David

> I had two thoughts on text length adjustment while working on
> Firefox's implementation.
>
> The first is that it might be worth having the ability to scale the
> text in both dimensions rather than just horizontally (for horizontal
> text).  That could help make the text look nicer when it is shrunk to fit a given length.
>
> The second is being able to say that the adjustment should only be
> performed when the actual text length is greater than the author's specified length.
> If the text is shorter, in many cases I think the author would prefer
> to have the text shown as is, rather than expanded out to fit textLength="".

Strongly agree for the second.

~TJ