Re: Relaxing SVGList* item object equality in Blink/Chromium

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 00:12:21 -0500
To: www-svg@w3.org
On 12/10/13 2:16 AM, Kouhei Ueno wrote:
> If you are intereseted in
> more implementation details, please see:
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/topic/blink-dev/YzlGV_m_kzA/discussion

I read through the design document you posted there; thank you for
writing that up.

Is the idea that you want to have some sort of internal data structure
and then any time someone asks for an SVG DOM object that would map to
that data structure you want to just mint a brand new object (which
points to that same shared data structure)?

I agree that this is an appealing implementation strategy for SVG, but
it seems to me that you can get most of the benefits you describe
(refcounting the tearoff objects, giving them sane bindings, etc) while
still caching them as needed so you don't have to keep minting new
objects.  Certainly that's what Gecko does.

-Boris