Re: [css-compositing] Request to move Compositing and Blending spec to CR

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#drawing-model
>>>

>> yes, that doesn't describe how you do the compositing. is it
>> 'clip-to-self', or the bounds of the drawing bitmap, or infinite bounds?
>>

> I think it's perfectly clear.
>
> 1. Render the shape or image onto an infinite transparent black bitmap,
>> creating image A, as described in the previous sections. For shapes, the
>> current fill, stroke, and line styles must be honored, and the stroke must
>> itself also be subjected to the current transformation matrix.
>
> 6. Composite A within the clipping region over the current scratch bitmap
>> using the current composition operator.
>>

> There's no practical difference between "bounds of the scratch bitmap" and
> "infinite bounds", and that's the behavior this text specifies.

The text doesn't say what should happen with the area outside of A. A is
supposed to be infinite as well, but is generally not.

>>> All you need to define for canvas is the per-pixel compositing behavior.
>>>

>> No. What if there are no pixels (ie with 'clear'), you'd still want to
>> clear that area.
>>

> Right. So for "clear" you just have to specify that the destination pixel
> is cleared. And that's what you do:
> http://dev.w3.org/fxtf/compositing-1/#porterduffcompositingoperators_clear

Yes. It's cleared everywhere, even where there was no coverage/shape of A.

>>> If a future spec will use it, the future spec can define it.
>>>

>> No, we want to avoid defining the same thing over and over again.
>> Filters, blending, canvas, masking all need to build on a common model.
>> This is why we did the compositing and blending spec in the first place:
>> harmonize the different specs.
>>

> So define it in C&B level 2 if it's ever needed. Or move the operators to
> their own Compositing Operator spec. It still does not make sense to
> specify features that are not used anywhere in the Web platform. If W3C
> bureaucracy pushes us in that direction, let's push back.
>

>>> Any use of clip-to-self will have to define what the clip-to-self region
>>> is for each drawing operation, which is not necessarily easy to do. It
>>> certainly shouldn't be done by saying the clip-to-self region is where
>>> alpha > 0, for the reasons James pointed out near the beginning of this
>>> thread.
>>>

>> That is not what the spec says. clip-to-self=true works on the shape of
>> the element which is independent of its alpha.
>>

> OK, good.

Thanks for pointing this out. When I compared with my reply with the actual
definition of clip-to-self and James' original objection, I realized that
the spec was wrong.
Given this, I will pull 'clip-to-self=true' out and rewrite the paragraph.