Re: marker-pattern syntax

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
>   marker-pattern: 50% url() 50%;
>
> The former interpretation would result in:
>
>   X-------X-------X

You mean:

--------X-------X

> My feeling is that these two meanings of offset cater to different use
> cases:
>
> * the former interpretation is for sliding the marker pattern so that it
> looks nicer at the start of the path
>
> * the latter interpretation is for ensuring that the marker pattern isn't
> painted at the start/end vertices of the path (since they might otherwise
> collide with other markers or graphics there)
>
> The idea of an offset at the end of the path obviously only makes sense with
> the second interpretation.

Not quite.  If makes just as much sense to have a "sliding" offset at
the end, too, it just prevents any markers from painting there.  It's
similar to padding in CSS.  It's indistinguishable from your
interpretation if no percentages are used.

> IMO both are useful and we should try to accommodate them both in the
> syntax.  I have no concrete suggestions for doing that yet.

comma-separated optional arguments at the beginning and end of
repeat()?  Or just a single optional argument at the start giving the
space that repeat() is repeated over, where percentages refer to the
whole path(/segment) length?

~TJ