From: Philip Rogers [mailto:pdr@google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:59 AM
To: www-svg@w3.org<mailto:www-svg@w3.org>
Subject: Clarification on non-scaling stroke and markers

www-svg,

I'm looking for clarification on non-scaling strokes and markers. Does vector-effect=non-scaling-stroke on a path apply to its markers?

It looks like SVG 2 will be the first version of the spec supporting both markers and non-scaling-stroke. I think it's least surprising to include markers as part of the stroke so that they will be affected by non-scaling-stroke. The marker spec hints otherwise: "Properties inherit into the 'marker' element from its ancestors; properties do not inherit from the element referencing the 'marker' element", which seems to say that markers do not inherit the stroke element's non-scaling-property.

Markers: http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/single-page.html#painting-Markers
Non-scaling-stroke: http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/single-page.html#painting-NonScalingStroke

Thank you,
Philip