Re: mask: luminance or alpha

(2012/07/31 8:13), Rik Cabanier wrote:
> Last week, there was a decision to have the id-less mask have ‘alpha’ as
> the default instead of ‘luminance’

The decision was to make masks that refer to non-<mask> content default
to alpha. It's not related to id-less referencing.

There are two orthogonal changes here:

1) Allowing referencing the mask source without using IDs
2) Allowing referencing mask source content that isn't a <mask>

For (1) nothing changes. The 'auto' value for the mask type (i.e. alpha
vs luminance) is based on the maskType attribute of the <mask> element
which defaults to luminance.

For (2) we decided to make 'auto' behave as alpha since it seems like a
lot of people want to refer to a raster image as their mask and use the
alpha values as the mask values. I'm pretty sure that's how -webkit-mask
works.

With regards to (2), I don't have a strong preference for the default
behaviour. I can see good arguments for both.

Best regards,

Brian

PS- I'm currently adding these changes to the spec. I've yet to check
them in because I'm trying to work out how the positioning should work
for (2) but I'll hopefully check something in in the next day or two
which will make this discussion a little more concrete.