Re: Agenda request: Presentation attributes in animation sandwich model

Hi Dirk,

I'm just sending a quick note since I won't be able to join the telcon.
Initially I was a bit concerned about prioritising animations based on
syntax. Taking a holistic view of animations on the Web, I wondered if
there is a more natural way to prioritise animations rather than syntax.
Animation start time, which is what SVG uses (plus a few extra
conditions), is just one example.

Eventually in CSS we will probably want multiple animations on the same
property (e.g. transform) to add together which will mean we'll need a
model for prioritising the respective animations within CSS anyway. So,
I thought, why not have one rule that covers all animations regardless
of syntax. This would seem to make a lot of sense if SVG and CSS
animations overlap more and more and become more and more
interchangeable in the future (e.g. invoking an SVG animation via CSS'
animation-name property).

Unfortunately, coming up with such rules takes time and I understand
there is a need to have guidelines now (and if we have those guidelines,
authors will start to rely on them and we won't be able to change them).
So I was a little concerned about painting ourselves into a corner here.

Having thought about this a little more (and having been persuaded by
others), I think we can probably get away with the syntax divide.
Ultimately the rule might look something like "animations applied
through the style system sit on top of those applied directly to the
elements." That would still allow a lot of the future situations I have
in mind (e.g. CSS animations adding to SVG, SVG animations being applied
through CSS etc.) Even if we were to phrase it as "CSS beats SVG" we
could make it more generic later.

Also, even with such a rule, I've been persuaded that it will still be
possible to add more fine-grained control later so that we could have,
for example, an SVG animation adding on top of a CSS one.

I'd be interested in hearing the discussion on testing too. Mozilla have
been using the strategy Nikolas outlined for a few years now and it
works pretty well. I'd be particularly interested to know how this
framework is being applied to CSS animations/transitions (since it seems
to be based around having a seekable timeline).

Thanks,

Brian