Re: Update on Diffusion Curves

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Jasper van de Gronde <
th.v.d.gronde@hccnet.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For those interested in Diffusion Curves, I recently finished my thesis
> on Diffusion Curves. It can be downloaded here:
> http://home.hccnet.nl/th.v.d.gronde/ThesisJvdGFinal2.pdf
> (Initially it was also available from my university's site, but there
> are some problems with the repository at the moment.)
>
> Associated code can be found on LaunchPad:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~jaspervdg/
>
> In short: I found that it's not that easy to render diffusion curves
> with high accuracy and looked at the cause of this, as well as possible
> solutions. In particular, I implemented a renderer/solver based on a
> different concept than the previously existing solvers, and this does
> show some promise. Also, I found a way to make it easier to handle the
> color discontinuities across diffusion curves (which are essential to
> the usefulness of diffusion curves but can be tricky to handle correctly
> in a solver), essentially by first removing them and then adding them
> back in.
>
> Comments, suggestions, questions, etc. appreciated.
>
> - Jasper
>
> BTW, most graphics were made using Inkscape (often saving to PDF+LaTeX).

Interesting work. I will definitely read this in more detail later.

I did a WebGL implementation of Jeschke's model last year.

It did make me concerned about standardizing Diffusion Curves (such as in
SVG).

Some artifact may not be visible in one implementation while it is clearly
visible in another. When rendering images designed using the original tool
by Orzan et al. I get some artifacts where the artist have left
imperfections. Those imperfections are not visible in Orzan's
implementation. Likewise, Jeschke's model hides other artifacts that ARE
visible in Orzan's model.

http://labs.calyptus.eu/diffusioncurves/

What makes Diffusion Curves unique is that a small artifact can have a huge
impact on the over all image, as it's spread out by the solver.