Re: How much background content gets blurred by feGaussianBlur

On 10/30/11 12:00 PM, David Dailey wrote:
> Firefox redraws the blurred ellipses dynamically; Chrome waits until
> mouseup to redraw; Opera requires a refresh; ASV doesn’t understand the
> relative coordinates and hence doesn’t redraw at all.
>
> Is that something the spec addresses?

I may be biased, but it seems to me that if the spec describes the
static rendering and does not explicitly define how it changes
dynamically then the correct conceptual behavior is that any time any of
the inputs to the rendering algorithm changes the whole thing is
rerendered.  This is the behavior that browsers should pretend is taking
place (in reality, of course, the optimize away as much of the "redoing
the work" aspect as they can).

So unless the spec explicitly says otherwise, the Firefox behavior seems
most correct to me, with WebKit's being maybe barely acceptable.

-Boris