Re: [css-compositing] some proposals

On Wednesday 2011-11-09 11:43 +1100, Alex Danilo wrote:
> >- 'enable-background' does not apply. Children with blending will composite up to the group with PD blending. (In effect, PD will always imply 'enable-background: new')
>
> Oh no. PD doesn't ever imply 'enable-background:new' - that's confusing it with filters again.
> P-D is a logical operation on objects not a bitblt operation into a backing store (even though
> many implementations choose to implement it in a similar way).

I don't follow the bit Rik said about "imply"ing enable-background:
new.  However, I'm also confused by your reply. Porter-Duff modes
are all about how to composite two images together.  In most modes,
that requires knowing both images completely -- you can't have part
of the "B" image in one buffer and part in another, and then
composite them together later.  Only with source-over and dest can
you take (A source-over part-of-B) and then later composite that
(with source-over) against rest-of-B.  If that's a little vague,
consider:
What is the dest image in the "source atop dest" operation used for
compositing the innermost div here?  Do we stop at the div with
opacity, or do we somehow (how?) include what's behind that opacity
(the blue background of the outermost div) in the dest image being
composited aganist?

During the meeting, I asked about how SVG handled this sort of case
for filters.  After reading through
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/filters.html#EnableBackgroundProperty , I
realize that (while SVG's solution to this sort of case for filters
seems imperfect, though reasonable), SVG is substantially simpler
than CSS here, since (if my memory is correct) elements in SVG are
either containers *or* graphical elements, but never both.  I don't
think SVG's EnableBackground algorithm makes sense when elements can
be both a container and a graphical element, and it's not
immediately clear to me how to fix it to handle that case.  (And,
thus, it's not clear to me how to make a 'comp-op' property make
sense in HTML+CSS.)

-David