Re: agenda+ SVG 2 Features and Approach

On Thu, 12 May 2011 01:02:03 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> Fair enough, but I think a more interesting question is why Web
> developers
> aren't using SVG for applications where it already seems like a great
> fit,
> e.g.
> http://www.animatable.com/demos/madmanimation/

Yes, I can admit that I was a bit surprised to see that done with CSS, but
then again, a nice demo is a good way to sell your new and shiny CSS
animation app, right? ;)

And speaking of which, the lack of publicly available svg animation tools
is a thing that surely doesn't help the situation for SVG. I've tried
Synfig Studio[1], but the SVG support is rather incomplete and buggy[2]. I
don't know of any other freely available tools for animating svg that are
suitable for designers and people that don't want to mess with the SVG
source, or learn to use some javascript animation library. I have seen
some commercial tools, but I wouldn't could them as being freely available
unless you could at least download and try them out before buying.

Here are some thoughts from one of our developers that tried to convert a
short animation to SVG (by hand):

   http://my.opera.com/emoller/blog/2011/05/09/bubuy-flash

So, where are the animation tools?

[1] http://synfig.org/