Re: Reusing a subset of SVG in another standard

Hi, Peter-

Peter Junge wrote (on 5/4/11 9:07 PM):

> In order to harmonize UOML with existing standards, we are currently
> thinking about redefining UOML Graphics Objects with a subset of SVG.
> (Using SVG completely would not work at the moment for a couple of
> reasons, but is considered for the long term.) 'SVG subset' means both
> not using all of SVG's elements and not using all specified attributes
> for SVG elements. We are basically discussing two alternatives and would
> like to get the opinion of the SVG WG which on is preferable:
> 1) The first alternative would be to redefine UOML Graphics Objects
> using SVG syntax and semantics, but keeping them within the current UOML
> namesspace, e.g.'uoml:rect' or 'uoml:circle'.
> 2) The second alternative would mean going one step further by also
> defining an internal SVG compatible namespace for UOML. OpenDocument
> Format e.g. is also using a subset of SVG by defining it's own svg
> namespace
> (xmlns:svg="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:svg-compatible:1.0").

This is actually a suboptimal approach taken in ODF 1.2 (see some
background here [1]).

> Hence my question, which solution would the SVG WG prefer?

I'm currently participating in the OASIS ODF TC to help define a better
way forward for ODF.Next (though I'm not very active... I'm biding my
time until the SVG issue is ready to be solved).  I could also help you
out, and in general, I suggest that ODF and UOML use the same approach:
simply support a subset of the SVG spec as a first-class citizen.

One resource that might help you is the SVG Integration spec [2], which
is (in part) intended just for cases like this... where another spec
wishes to identify a "profile" of sorts that is supported in their
language.  Obviously, which set of features to select should depend on
the capability of devices, the network effects of what subset of SVG is
supported in related user agents (perhaps browsers, or authoring tools,
etc.), security considerations, and many other factors.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/Proposals/SVG_in_ODF
[2] http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/integration/SVGIntegration.html

Regards-
-Doug Schepers