Re: agenda+ SVG 2 Features and Approach

Hi, Jon-

Frost, Jon A. wrote (on 5/5/11 10:32 AM):
> We might do well to put together a couple surveys.
>
> -- A top 50+ "overall community requested SVG2 features list"
> -- And then a follow up survey of "just the implementers" which
> details the top 50+ "realistically implementable SVG2 features list".
>
> That might help narrow down our options quite a bit.  I will hold my
> vote/response until this survey idea has been decidedly rejected :-)

Yes, this is a good idea; the SVG WG agreed with the idea of a poll.  We
definitely want to get the opinions of the larger developer community,
so we want a wider reach than just this list.

W3C is setting up some improved forum-based polling (where people can
post ideas and others can mod them up or down), but I'm not sure when
that will be put into effect, nor whether it will be suitable for this
kind of idea collection.  (It might work well, I'm just not sure yet.)

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on:
1) what software or web service we could use to make simple but secure
polling?
2) how and where to get the word out to a diverse set of Web developers
and designers to get them to participate in the poll?

I really like the idea of a community-driven set of features; we've
tried to collect such ideas before, but never quite so systematically.
Obviously, if we get lots of suggestions, we will probably only be able
to do a few of them in SVG 2, but we can always save the rest for future
versions of SVG.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG WG