Re: data-* : Custom Data Attributes

Hi, Jon-

Frost, Jon A. wrote (on 5/4/11 1:07 PM):

> Over the last 2 years I have been using the “data-“ attribute more and
> more in HTML5. The Custom Data Attribute is a very useful way to pass in
> and manage associated data – great for many of my applications. We have
> sXBL, but that is really a different beast. The parameter proposal
> sounds very useful, but it does not look nearly as useful as HTML5’s
> custom data attribute which also is already well-defined for us.

The Parameter functionality is very different from Microdata (of which
@data-* attributes are part).  Parameters actually allow shapes to be
altered dynamically on use, while @data- is just a way of adding
metadata, unless I'm missing something.

> I know that we can alter the DTD to make this happen in each of our
> SVGs, but a more flexible and standard approach would be very useful to
> me anyway. It have not heard much discussion about adding this to SVG2
> but I might have missed the conversations. Please point me in the right
> direction, or let me know what you all think.

In the past, the SVG WG has been very amenble to adding new metadata
mechanisms, such as RDFa and ARIA attributes, so I expect that we will
also add @data-* to SVG for parity with HTML5, as well.  (It wouldn't
surprise me if you could use them in SVG today in most browsers that
support Microdata, though it wouldn't validate.)

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, WebApps, and Web Events WGs