Re: Current DTD

Hi Lutz.

Lutz Gehlen:
> I have a question about the SVG DTD. The current SVG specification
> (specifically http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/svgdtd.html#Introduction)
> states that "A dated version of the flattened DTD will always be
> available from
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11-flat-2009XXXX.dtd." The
> most recent flat version currently available under
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD is
> svg11-flat-20030114.dtd. This version obviously does not reflect the
> changes in the second edition from June 2010.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Is there an uptodate SVG DTD? If not is there any machine
>    readable document that specifies
>    - which child element an element is allowed to have
>    - which attributes an element is allowed to have, default values
>      for these attributes etc.?

The DTD files under http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/master/DTD/
have been updated with a couple of changes since the First Edition.
These will be published as the dated version when the Second Edition
becomes a Recommendation.

Note though that the DTD is a very crude approximation to syntactic
conformance for SVG documents.  For example, this document

  <a:svg xmlns:a="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"/>

is perfectly conforming but one that would not validate against the DTD.

> 2) I have read somewhere (on this mailing list?) that the SVG WG is
>    "moving away from DTDs" (or something like this). Towards what is
>    it moving? What is the recommended machine readable form of
>    (parts of) the specification?

A natural choice for a machine readable schema for SVG would be RelaxNG.
The WG will not be providing an RNG for SVG 1.1 2ed, but may do so for
future specifications.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/