You Got Your SVG in my Canvas! Mmm, Delicious! (was: hit testing and retained graphics)

Hi, Rich-

(Please reply to public-canvas-api... I've BCCed other related lists.)

I agree with others on this list that a retained-mode Canvas API is a
bit of a contradiction, and that SVG is better suited (designed, in
fact) for retained-mode graphics.

I agree with you and others that there should be a way for applications
using Canvas to be made more accessible.

I suggest that rather than adding more retained-mode shape features to
the Canvas API or shadow tree, that we simply allow the SVG and Canvas
to be used more seamlessly together.  The SVG WG has discussed this in
the past, and I think most of them would be open to this idea.

I wrote up some more detailed notes on my blog [1], and I'm interested
in hearing feedback from you and others.

[1] http://schepers.cc/retain-a11y-immediately

Bonus Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLDF6qZUX0 (Do not watch if
you are allergic to peanuts or cheese.)

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, WebApps, Web Events, and Audio WGs