Re: SVG masks and luminance calculations

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:39:39 +0100, Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 03.02.2011 um 09:37 schrieb Erik Dahlstrom:

>>> Erik,
>>>
>>> Is that what Opera currently implements? If not what is it doing?
>>
>> Like I wrote in [1] my current thinking is that the linearRGB luminance
>> calculation for the mask element is in conflict with the
>> 'color-interpolation' property.
>>
>> Opera is currently doing the luminance calculation in sRGB-space.
>> According to the mozilla bugreport comments (see link in [1]) that's
>> also what e.g Photoshop does.
>
> Given the fact that there are still bug reports about a wrong behavior
> on Firefox, it looks like the spec is a bit confusing here. I agree to
> Eric that linearRGB as default looks a bit confusing since the default
> of color-interpolation is sRGB. I guess the root of this phrasing is the
> specification of SVG Filters. The masking text relies to
> 'feColorMatrix'. And the default color space on filters is linearRGB[1].
> Both confused me at the time I startet working on implementing masks[2]
> and filters. But filter has another property named
> 'color-interpolation-filters'. And the default value is linearRGB for
> this property. So even if I'm unsure why linearRGB was chosen, the
> definition looks clear here. This is different on Masking. And it might
> make sense to use sRGB as default.
> The most(unsure about Safari/Win) ports of WebKit use linearRGB as
> default now, but it's no problem to change it back to sRGB. Note that
> the masking tests on the test suite would need new results, or the tests
> need to use  color-interpolation="linearRGB" explicitly.

I don't think that there are any tests in the testsuite where such a
change would give a very different result visually.

It would make sense to include a test to clearly show the difference
though. With gradients and with raster images with alpha.
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group