Pointer-events processing (Was: Re: Announcement: Last Call WD of SVG 1.1 Second Edition)

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 12:49:29 +0100, Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 02.02.2011 um 11:21 schrieb Erik Dahlstrom:
>
>> However, a thing to note is that filters aren't meant to affect
>> pointer-events processing at all, for the purposes of hit detection
>> it's as if there was no filter applied [2].
>
> One possibility would be to take the filter region for pointer events.
> But some SVG's take the complete viewport of the root SVG element as
> filter region, because this solves the problem of a web developer to
> determine the correct clipping region for drop shadows. It would be much
> more helpful (but still not perfect) to just use the affected area for
> pointer events. The problem is, that the specification does not define
> how to determine this region (just the filter or primitive regions for
> clipping), so it can't be defined that this region should be used.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean here. Are you saying you'd want
filters to have an effect on pointer-events processing?

> Note, the same occurs to SVG masks. The spec wants the implementer to
> ignore masks for pointer events as well.
>
> This gets a bigger problem, if the target element gets completely
> clipped away by the mask.

So you'd want mask to behave the same as clip-path? For all levels of
opacity or just for opacity=0?

Please see
http://www.w3.org/2003/01/REC-SVG11-20030114-errata#capturing-pointer-events-zero-opacity
(and slightly related