RE: oddities with dasharray, markers and use

Thanks for your response Tony.

On #2 - I looked at some of the discussion here, but will confess to have
not looked in great detail. It seems though that if arrow-heads are to
inherit dash array, then the author must have some way to override this. The
behavior is not what most folks would want. Is there another way? Maybe I
need to read deeper in the links you provided.

On #3 - would there be any way to have <use onclick="f(evt.target)"> not
point back to the original object? It might be nice to have uses and their
predecessors behave more like cloneNode("true"), perhaps with an attribute
that allows the author to specify whether the use is instantiated in DOM or
merely in a shadow tree. For <replicate> [1], which is sort of like <use>,
that is certainly the intention since often times the author will want only
the visual aftermath of the rendering, while in other use cases (like gaming
and 3D applications) each cloned object should have its own DOM instance. To
make <use> more forward compatible, this would make sense.

On #4 - you're right. I don't understand my question either, now that I
re-examine it.  My thinking was backward.

On #5 - if we had the ability to position markers fractionally as through
.getTotalLength(), but with markup, then browsers that are not yet
supporting <glyph> could still at least handle the use case of custom
cartographic boundary decorations of a sort that are richer than the Morse
code-like decorations afforded by dash-array.

Cheers

David

[1] http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2010/replicate.htm