Re: why does <text/> have no firstChild with value ""

Paul,

This is misinformation.
more than spaces inside markup, attributes order, ...
Open your file in any XML editor to save it, and these will be lost.
There is no way to differentiate them with SAX, nor in the DOM.

different, then it's not an XML parser IMHO.

David