Re: Feature request: Gradients: contours, matrices and...

Agreed, Jonathan,

There seems to be a large number of different things being considered in
this light: diffusion curves, mesh gradients, contour (sort of like tweening
that has been part of Illustrator since 1987), tubefy and allied concepts,
vector effects, some of the ideas presented by Andrei Matseevsky, and
<replicate>. I think that having mathematicians as invited experts is a good
idea, for a variety of issues in computational graphics, but the "easy to
understand and implement" criterion would (in my opinion, wearing either a
mathematician's or a cognitive psychologist's hat) tend to be,  <replicate>
since it is a) based on technologies already implemented by most viewers b)
easily understood, being a simple extension of basic cognitive styles
already ubiquitous within SVG  c) superordinate (feature-wise) to some of
the others and d) extensible into other realms (like 2.5D effects,
animations, patterning and texturing).
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2010/replicate.htm
contains our early work on this. We're preparing a more formal proposal on
the subject, having received positive feedback from several of the SVG WG
members and lukewarm reception by others. The lukewarmness emanated, as I
hear it, from two issues: "interesting graphical effects but what's the
point?" and "well... given that you can do this already pretty well in
JavaScript, why implement it natively in the browser?" Both of those are
issues that we intend to address.

cheers
David

See some of what can b