Re: Reading SVG with java

On Nov 4, 2010, at 10:53 PM, Verónica Ramírez H wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm doing a project where I must read an SVG file and get some data from it using java. I was having success in my reading until yesterday.
> A couple of weeks ago, the project was working fine, so I decided to do some other works. Yesterday, I wanted to work on that project and when I ran the project, it appears an Exception:
>
> java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd
>     at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
>     at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityMana

The problem is that your parser is grabbing the DTD over the Internet each time you read a file. This is not really a good configuration.

http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic

What you should do is set things up to have a local version of the DTD you use, or turn of DTD validation.