Re: Inheritance during SVG Animation of CSS properties -- should "base value" incorporate ancestors' animation effects?

On Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 10:07:36 AM, Erik wrote:

ED> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 02:38:35 +0200, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
ED> wrote:

>>   MY QUESTION: What should be used as the "base value" for this
>> animation on the child node?  The actual underlying value is "inherit",
>> but what should that evaluate to, when we place it at the base of the
>> animation sandwich to compose the child's "by-animation"?  Should we use
>> the parent's animated value, or the parent's underlying non-animated
>> value?
>> This problem is (slightly) more general than this, though -- in
>> particular, we hit the same basic question with the "currentColor"
>> value, with no inheritance at all.  The situation for this is as
>> follows: if we animate the "color" attribute on an element that has e.g.
>> style="fill: currentColor", and then we begin a "by" animation on the
>> "fill" property, should the "color" animation feed into the base value
>> of the "fill" animation?  (I'd say "yes".)

ED> That sounds quite similar to this testcase:

ED>    http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/test/svg/animate-elem-85-t.svg

Its also similar to animate-elem-41-t.svg
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/test/harness/htmlEmbed/animate-elem-41-t.html
and animate-elem-78-t.svg (which uses set)
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/test/harness/htmlEmbed/animate-elem-78-t.html

both of these test inheritance of animated values. currentColor is included in the tests.

Another test specific to currentColor and inherit is
animate-elem-84-t.svg
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/test/harness/htmlEmbed/animate-elem-84-t.html

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead