Re: css clip property

Boris Zbarsky:
> On 2/16/10 11:05 AM, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:
> > I think, this bug should be fixed in CSS2.1,
>
> It was.  What CSS2 said was not what any implementation actually
> implemented, hence the spec was changed to match reality.
>
> -Boris

Hmm, apart from the question, whether to use commas or not,
I could not identify any problem with what is defined in CSS2.0.
The definition itself is ok, just the example does not fit to the
definition, it has commas, not indicated by the definition, therefore
no commas (this should be the only fix for the example in CSS2.1).

If implementations deviate from this, this might be a reason, why
this was never widely used ;o) As long as I use CSS for (X)HTML,
it was always indicated as unusable in tutorials, because in some
browsers it was not implemented at all and some others the behaviour
was not predictable. The implementations should be
fixed, because they contain bugs. If implementors implement
nonsense, this indicates not necessarily a problem in CSS2.0
and therefore CSS2.1 should be fixed to align with CSS2.0
to have a chance, that authors can use this feature at least
in a few years in other formats than SVG after the bugs in
viewers are fixed ;o)

Due to my tests, as far as I understand this, for example
newer versions of Opera follow neither what is defined in CSS2.0
nor the buggy variant of CSS2.1. Therefore the buggy CSS2.1
does not really match reality - whatever this could mean,
if several implementations are wrong - maybe it indicates only,
what is already widely known, that authors should never use
this feature, if they want to have a predictable behaviour -
and indeed the bug in CSS2.1 ensures, that this will not
change and warnings not to use this feature will remain in
tutorials.

Due to these CSS problems, maybe this property should be
removed from future versions of SVG. Authors can simply
replace it with the related SVG feature to get a predictable
behaviour right now.

Olaf