Re: Proposed wording for 'how object transforms affect gradient rendering output'

Hi SVG WG,

Firstly, thank you to Cyril for the valuable feedback provided. Please see my
comments below.

Cyril Concolato wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> Here are some comments.
>
> In your wording you use the term 'initially'. I think I understand what
> it means but I would prefer if you would say something like: "before any
> transformation is applied to the gradient".

Agreed. The suggested wording has been used in the new draft of the proposed
wording (end of email).

> You also mention the magnitude of the normal. I don't understand what it
> means and how it is used. To me, it is sufficient to say that the normal
> is perpendicular, we don't even need to say the direction +90° or -90°.
> It does not matter.

True. The part about the magnitude of the normal has been removed.

> Concerning the order between object transforms and gradient transforms,
> are you sure about it? I thought it was first apply gradient transforms
> because they apply to all reference of the gradients, then object
> transforms. If you look at SVG 1.1 [1], you'll find:
> "[The gradientTransform] transformation matrix is post-multiplied to
> (i.e., inserted to the right of) any previously defined transformations,
> including the implicit transformation necessary to convert from object
> bounding box units to user space."

Right again. The wording has been adjusted accordingly to match what it is
currently written in the standard.

> Concerning the position of the text. I think the first two sentences
> "The angle ... vector." only apply to linear gradients because of the
> notion of gradient vector. For the rest of the paragraph, it's fine to
> put it in the introduction.

A gradient normal is useful when calculating skews on radial gradients as it
provides the tangent at each colour point on the gradient. Please see the
attached diagrams.

The revised wording of the first paragraph in the proposed text now reads:

[[
The angle of the color transitions along the gradient vector is defined by the
gradient normal. Before any transforms are applied to the gradient or its
referencing objects, the gradient normal is perpendicular with the gradient
vector. If an object references a gradient, conceptually the object should take
a copy of the gradient vector and gradient normal and treat it as part of its
own geometry. Any transformations applied to the object geometry also apply to
the copied gradient vector and gradient normal. Any gradient transforms that are
specified on the reference gradient are applied before any object
transformations are applied to the gradient.
]]

Please advise before the next telcon if there is any more wording that needs to
be adjusted or if  any other changes need to be made.

Erik, can we add this issue to the next telcon agenda please.

Thanks,

Anthony