Re: Margins for filters?

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:45:28 +0200, Jasper van de Gronde
<th.v.d.gronde@hccnet.nl> wrote:

> For a blur (as well as some other filters) it is useful to make the
> filter effects region larger than the bounding box of the object.
> However, this requires the region to larger by a fixed number of pixels
> (in user space coordinates), instead of being a multiple of the bounding
> box. (This was in fact the root cause of a bug reported for Inkscape,
> where a blur would disappear for a completely horizontal/vertical line.)
>
> I am aware of the possibility to specify userSpaceOnUse and explicitly
> state the region required to show the blur (and am considering using it,
> also because it would allow us to consider stroke). But this has the
> disadvantage that it only works for a specific object, being able to
> specify a margin would make it much easier to define reusable blur
> filters.
>
> So, is there some way to specify a "margin" for the filter effects
> region?

There is in the SVG Filter 1.2 working draft (attributes 'mx', 'my', 'mw',
'mh'), for details see the latest editors draft:
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/filters/publish/SVGFilter.html#FilterPrimitiveSubRegion

Feedback on that would be most welcome.

Cheers
/Erik