Re: Input on the agenda

Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2009, at 09:24 , Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> It would be great if we could allow the same set of tags to affect the
>> parser the same way in both HTML mode and in foreign content mode. The
>> only two tags that seem troublesome here is <script> and <style>. It
>> sounds like it might possibly might be agreement that it would be
>> possible to parse <script> as CDATA, which would leave <style> as the
>> only remaining controversial tag.
>
> I think it could be acceptable to break <style> for SVG. While <script>
> is commonplace, <style> is pretty rare as a) it's not in Tiny, 2) using
> CSS for SVG is only useful in some limited cases, and iii) external
> style sheets are generally preferred and are brought in with a PI.

It might be nice to quantify "pretty rare".

Looking at a random 300 SVG files from Wikipedia six months ago, I see 3
using <style>:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Components_of_the_United_States_money_supply2.svg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dice_analogy-_5_dimensions.svg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Johnston_Diagram-_B.svg

Those are all pretty straightforward styling of text, and the CSS has no
funny characters like '<' or anything.

So... This is very far from conclusive evidence about anything, but it
does suggest that some people use <style> but they wouldn't mind if it
was parsed as CDATA. (It'd be nice to have a way of checking a wider
range of SVG content for these kinds of issues...)

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk