Re: Making it possible to use an <svg> root in text/html

On Mar 6, 2009, at 08:03, Dana Lee Ling wrote:

> Robin Berjon wrote the following on 3/5/2009 8:51 PM:
>> On Mar 5, 2009, at 09:25 , Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>> I don't have an informed opinion yet on whether enabling <svg> as
>>> root in text/html is a good idea.
>>
>> Scratching my head a little, I see no good reason not to allow it.
>> In fact, I think it would be a very good idea if we can work around
>> some of the few kinks.
>>
> As someone who uses a text editor to write SVG in XHTML+MathMl+SVG,
> I am somewhat unclear on the use case for an <svg> root. Maybe I am
> confused, but someone wants to start a document something like <!
> DOCTYPE svg> followed by SVG elements with some HTML elements
> embedded in amongst the SVG? There is a reason to do this?

There a some ad agency-created "high impact" marketing sites created
in Flash. These tend to put text views inside a vector graphics
enclosure.

To create similar sites with Open Web technologies, one might want to
have an <svg> root and then HTML content in a <foreignObject>.
However, the HTML bits would suffer from all the usual ill-formedness
of HTML if pulled from a CMS built for text/html and not for XML, so
text/html would work for such HTML islands better than image/svg+xml.

> A reason that simply using XHTML will not work?

There's no "simply" in using XHTML. :-) The (X)HTML bits could easily
come from a system that can't guarantee well-formedness.

> Even when the page is dominantly an SVG graphic with a hunk of XHTML
> code inserted as a foreignObject, http://www.comfsm.fm/~dleeling/kinesiology/runshine.xhtml
> , I still do not see that the savings starting off in <svg>.

Having an SVG root has different behavior wrt. sizing the content to
the view port.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi