Re: SVG in technical drawings

Hi, Paul-

Paul Williams wrote (on 7/23/09 9:56 AM):

> This is an encouraging response, and it sounds like it would meet my
> needs.  Do you know when the three mentioned drafts, SVG Tiny 1.2,

SVG Tiny became a W3C Recommendation on 22 December 2008, so it's more
or less done (there are always errata...)

> the 1.1 module

As you saw from the draft [1] and the primer [2], there is a good bit
done, but some outstanding issues.  I'd like to have it published as a
First Public Working Draft soon, and depending on feedback and
implementations, it could be done 6 months to a year or so later.  It
all depends upon the priorities and resources that emerge for the SVG WG
over the next months.

> or 2.0 are planned to be released?

This is more complicated.  We are moving SVG forward as a series of
modules, which we will hold in Candidate Recommendation while they all
move toward maturity and implementation.  Once that is done, we will
pull them all together with some additional material, and publish it as
SVG 2.0.  I don't have a timeframe, I'm afraid, but I'd like to be
optimistic and say 1.5 to 2 years.  But again, for your purposes, the
SVG Tiny 1.2 spec or Vector Effects module should suffice if
implementations come forward.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/vectoreffects/master/SVGVectorEffects.html
[2]
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/vectoreffects/master/SVGVectorEffectsPrimer.html