Re: ISSUE-37 - html-svg-mathml - suggest closing on 2009-08-20

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> A) A serialization independent vocabulary defined in terms of DOM
> elements and attributes.

> C) A serialization form that can handle this vocabulary, plus a few
> select others (MathML, SVG), specifically the text/html serialization.
>
> I think it's plausible to include C without necessarily requiring
> implementation of the behavior for all parsed vocabularies. An analogous
> situation is XML - an XML parser has to put the appropriate elements
> into the HTML or SVG namespace

[www-svg was only blind-copied, but I'm not on the other lists.]

As I understand it, one of the fundamental tenets of the HTML5 designers
is that all browsers should behave the same when presented with the same
character stream. As such, I'm not sure that they could permit
subsetting of the vocabulary, especially as there are many deliberate
layering violations.

My impression is that this is more about rendering than DOMs, as their
main objection to XML syntaxes is that ordinary "web designers" cannot
be expected to conform to a formal syntax, but only to the production of
character stream that provides the desired output, judged by that
output, not by any theoretical transformations of the character stream
into that output.

The main objection to XML is that "web desginers" cannot cope with the
layering concept imposed by XML.

I suppose this could have been compromised, with the addition of SVG, in
that they may accept that a small number of macro features may not work
on some browsers.

--
David Woolley