Re: External References for <use>

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 09:30:22 +0100
David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> I'm not entirely convinced that this use case isn't one for web
> fonts, rather than the more general use mechanism.  As I understand
> it, what Jonathon is working on is a new ideographic writing system
> without the abstraction of character forms that has entered into
> Chinese Hanzi and Japanese Kanji.

I remember a project about 6 years ago where I had to preprocess all of
my output to copy objects from a standard library into the SVG pages I
was serving because this mechanism was not supported.

That project was for a commercial product that needed to be able to
construct and display a large number of pages that acted as displays
for an EMS system. Having proper support for use would have reduced
time and work on that project.

Some of my current projects could also be simplified with this
mechanism. Use with a fragment identifier is not just for fonts.

G. Wade
--
A tautology is a thing which is tautological.