Re: [1.2T-LC] Comments and suggestions, mainly regarding the Linking section (ISSUE-2116, ISSUE-2117, ISSUE-2118, ISSUE-2119, ISSUE-2120)

> I'm addressing many of your editorial comments in one fell swoop in this
> email.  Please review the editor's draft of the spec to ensure that we
> have satisfied your comments:
>  http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/publish/
>
> If any of these responses do not satisfy your comment, please let us
> know; otherwise, please promptly acknowledge your satisfaction.
>
> Please see details responses inline...

Inline response also...

> Helder Magalhães wrote (on 10/13/08 5:22 AM):
>>
>> 2. Typo in Linking section [LINKING]
>>
>> In subsection "14.1.4 Reference restrictions", "not" is repeated.
>>
>> Current wording:
>>
>> A: A reference to a fragment within the current document (e.g.
>> '#someelement'). If the referenced fragment is not within the current
>> SVG document fragment then whether the reference is an invalid IRI
>> reference or not not is defined by the host language.
>>
>> Proposed change:
>>
>> A: A reference to a fragment within the current document (e.g.
>> '#someelement'). If the referenced fragment is not within the current
>> SVG document fragment then whether the reference is an invalid IRI
>> reference or not is defined by the host language.
>
> (ISSUE-2116 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2116>)
>
> Corrected as suggested.

I'm satisfied with the correction, thank you.

>> 3. Typo in Linking section [LINKING]
>>
>> In subsection "14.1.5 IRI reference attributes", "XLink" is mistyped.
>>
>> Current wording:
>>
>> xlink:type = 'simple'
>>     Identifies the type of XLink being used. In SVG Tiny 1.2, only
>> simple links are available. In line with the changes proposed in
>> XLiunk 1.1 [XLink11], this attribute may be omitted on simple links.
>>
>> Proposed change:
>>
>> xlink:type = 'simple'
>>     Identifies the type of XLink being used. In SVG Tiny 1.2, only
>> simple links are available. In line with the changes proposed in XLink
>> 1.1 [XLink11], this attribute may be omitted on simple links.
>
> (ISSUE-2116 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2116>)
>
> Corrected as suggested.

I'm satisfied with the correction, thank you.

>> 4. Images mixed with text in linking section [LINKING]
>
> (ISSUE-2117 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2117>)
>
> Corrected as suggested.

I'm satisfied with the correction, thank you.

>> 5. W3C home page link change [LINKING]
>>
>> Example "17_01.svg" uses a link which, while being somehow
>> "less-RESTful", will also cause an additional HTTP redirection
>> request.
>>
>> Current markup:
>>
>> <a xlink:href="http://www.w3.org">
>>
>> Proposed change:
>>
>> <a xlink:href="http://www.w3.org/">
>
> (ISSUE-2118 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2118>)
>
> Corrected to say <a xlink:href="http://www.example.com/">.

I'm *not* satisfied with the correction. ;-)

Changing the target URI has created a small inconsistency. Current
wording which follows the image:

"If the above SVG file is viewed by a user agent that supports both
SVG and HTML, then clicking on the ellipse will cause the current
window or frame to be replaced by the W3C home page."

I'd suggesting leaving the W3 home page URI to avoid something like
"to be replaced by the example.com home page" which doesn't sound very
well. Of course there are other alternatives. :-)

>> 6. Grammatical suggestion in Linking section [LINKING]
>>
>> In subsection "14.3.2 SVG fragment identifiers", the verb to replace
>> doesn't seem to be properly conjugated (plus a minor suggestion).
>>
>> Current wording:
>>
>> An SVG fragment identifier must match the specified grammar. To ensure
>> robust content it is recommended that spaces between numeric values be
>> omitted or replace with percent encoded strings or commas as
>> appropriate.
>>
>> Proposed change:
>>
>> An SVG fragment identifier must match the specified grammar. To ensure
>> robust content it is recommended that spaces between numeric values
>> are omitted or replaced with percent encoded strings or commas as
>> appropriate.
>
> (ISSUE-2119 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2119>)
>
> Clarified and corrected to say:
> [[
> An SVG fragment identifier must match the specified grammar.
> To ensure robust content, authors are recommended to omit spaces between
> numeric
> values, or replace these spaces with percent-encoded strings or commas as
> appropriate.
> ]]
>

>> I believe there's nothing wrong with the verb to be ("be" changed for
>> "are") - I guess it is a matter of preference. :-)
>
> Actually, it's the use of the subjunctive mood in the passive tense,
> which while fairly commmon, is probably less clear for non-native speakers
> (c.f.,
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22it+is+recommended+that+this+be%22).  I
> hope the correct makes more sense.

In deed, the corrected text is much more clear. :-) I'm satisfied with
the correction, thank you.

>> 7. Minor inconsistency in Linking section [LINKING]
>>
>> In subsection "14.3.2 SVG fragment identifiers", there's reference to
>> a situation already discarded by the previous premise. It is suggested
>> to remove the "is not found, or ".
>
> (ISSUE-2120 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2120>)
>
> Corrected as suggested.
>

>> I'd further suggest to try breaking this lengthy list item (possibly)
>> into several nested list items.
>
> Not a bad idea.  If we have time, we will do that, and if not in this
> spec, then certainly in SVG 2.0 Core.

I'm satisfied with the correction, thank you.

> Regards-
> -Doug Schepers

Regards,
 Helder Magalhães