Re: [1.2T-LC] Comments and suggestions, mainly regarding the Linking section (ISSUE-2116, ISSUE-2117, ISSUE-2118, ISSUE-2119, ISSUE-2120)

Hi, Helder-

I'm addressing many of your editorial comments in one fell swoop in this
email.  Please review the editor's draft of the spec to ensure that we
have satisfied your comments:
  http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/publish/

If any of these responses do not satisfy your comment, please let us
know; otherwise, please promptly acknowledge your satisfaction.

Please see details responses inline...

Helder Magalhães wrote (on 10/13/08 5:22 AM):

> 2. Typo in Linking section [LINKING]
>
> In subsection "14.1.4 Reference restrictions", "not" is repeated.
>
> Current wording:
>
> A: A reference to a fragment within the current document (e.g.
> '#someelement'). If the referenced fragment is not within the current
> SVG document fragment then whether the reference is an invalid IRI
> reference or not not is defined by the host language.
>
> Proposed change:
>
> A: A reference to a fragment within the current document (e.g.
> '#someelement'). If the referenced fragment is not within the current
> SVG document fragment then whether the reference is an invalid IRI
> reference or not is defined by the host language.

(ISSUE-2116 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2116>)

Corrected as suggested.

> 3. Typo in Linking section [LINKING]
>
> In subsection "14.1.5 IRI reference attributes", "XLink" is mistyped.
>
> Current wording:
>
> xlink:type = 'simple'
>     Identifies the type of XLink being used. In SVG Tiny 1.2, only
> simple links are available. In line with the changes proposed in
> XLiunk 1.1 [XLink11], this attribute may be omitted on simple links.
>
> Proposed change:
>
> xlink:type = 'simple'
>     Identifies the type of XLink being used. In SVG Tiny 1.2, only
> simple links are available. In line with the changes proposed in XLink
> 1.1 [XLink11], this attribute may be omitted on simple links.

(ISSUE-2116 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2116>)

Corrected as suggested.

> 4. Images mixed with text in linking section [LINKING]

(ISSUE-2117 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2117>)

Corrected as suggested.

(ISSUE-2118 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2118>)

Corrected to say <a xlink:href="http://www.example.com/">.

> 6. Grammatical suggestion in Linking section [LINKING]
>
> In subsection "14.3.2 SVG fragment identifiers", the verb to replace
> doesn't seem to be properly conjugated (plus a minor suggestion).
>
> Current wording:
>
> An SVG fragment identifier must match the specified grammar. To ensure
> robust content it is recommended that spaces between numeric values be
> omitted or replace with percent encoded strings or commas as
> appropriate.
>
> Proposed change:
>
> An SVG fragment identifier must match the specified grammar. To ensure
> robust content it is recommended that spaces between numeric values
> are omitted or replaced with percent encoded strings or commas as
> appropriate.

(ISSUE-2119 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2119>)

Clarified and corrected to say:
[[
An SVG fragment identifier must match the specified grammar.
To ensure robust content, authors are recommended to omit spaces between
numeric
values, or replace these spaces with percent-encoded strings or commas as
appropriate.
]]

> I believe there's nothing wrong with the verb to be ("be" changed for
> "are") - I guess it is a matter of preference. :-)

Actually, it's the use of the subjunctive mood in the passive tense,
which while fairly commmon, is probably less clear for non-native speakers
(c.f.,
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22it+is+recommended+that+this+be%22).  I
hope the correct makes more sense.

> 7. Minor inconsistency in Linking section [LINKING]
>
> In subsection "14.3.2 SVG fragment identifiers", there's reference to
> a situation already discarded by the previous premise. It is suggested
> to remove the "is not found, or ".

(ISSUE-2120 <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2120>)

Corrected as suggested.

> I'd further suggest to try breaking this lengthy list item (possibly)
> into several nested list items.

Not a bad idea.  If we have time, we will do that, and if not in this
spec, then certainly in SVG 2.0 Core.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs