Re: additional role of 'hint' or 'contexthelp' -- please you do it

Hi, Al-

We have removed all mention of "contexthelp" from the SVG Tiny 1.2 spec,
along with that proposed functionality [1].  We may reintroduce the
functionality somehow in a later specification, or in the accessibility
module, after further examination of the best way to provide it (such as
with a dedicated element as originally proposed, or indeed as a role).
We will keep you in the loop.

For what it's worth, I disagree with one aspect of the design philosophy
of ARIA... specifically, that it assumes that the only use of ARIA
should be scripted.  This does not take into account the likely
proposition that some UAs will provide native behavior for ARIA-tagged
elements.  A good way to future-proof this might be to expose an API
that authors can use to detect if there is such support, so that authors
could provide fallback (scripted) behavior only for those roles that are
not supported, thus providing a means to transition.  Another point is
that ARIA should be useful even without scripting; in a way, ARIA roles
are themselves an API to underlying AT, so even without behavior, adding
a 'contexthelp' role would expose that functionality to AT that
understands it.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008OctDec/0331.html

Regards-
-Doug