Re: Source-image offset/dimensions control for the image element

 > It is possible to control all of this in SVG, using for example the
 > clip, mask or pattern features. However, each of these comes at the
 > price of additional processing, since they are meant to cover more
 > advanced use-cases as well.

or by using the svg viewBox in the example below.
Not sure of the cost.

<svg >
   <svg width="400" height="300"
        viewBox="80 0 80 60" overflow="hidden">
     <image width="160" height="120"
            preserveAspectRatio="xMinYMin" xlink:href="sprites.jpg"/>
   </svg>
</svg>

Ken Stacey