Re: dilemma of cache: two types of image

Hi, Jonathan-

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote (on 7/29/08 2:04 AM):

> I have already outlined a clear use case.
>
> a user who does not want to or is not capable of learning svg,
> xmlhttprequest, javascript and php,
> but wishes to embed a symbol for  the current weather in their homepage.
>
> what is it about this use case that you don't understand?

I understand the use case.  I've already stated that I think it can be
met by other technologies.  Others have pointed out that there are
issues of privacy, security, licensing, Web architecture, and current
practice that would seem to conflict with your use case.

What is missing is some evidence that this is a genuine need (or even
desire) by a number of people, such that it is worth the time and effort
needed to standardize it, rather than a "pet peeve".  This is why I
suggested you gather together this information.

The concept is already covered by external <use> (or, for text, <tref>)
references, but not yet widely implemented.

Additionally, there are a large number of services that already provide
explicit mechanisms to do this, for pay or for free [1].  I recall that
there have already been a couple of similar things done in SVG.

If this is the extent of your use case, and if you can provide no hard
data about the need for this or other similar cases, and if you don't
have evidence of a need or desire by a group of people to have this
(such as I outlined in my previous post on this topic), then I don't
think this is a strong enough case to address formally in the group.  As
David and I said before, this should be solved at the application level
(specifically, Web applications), not at the language level.

You are welcome to post more about this, and to make a more concrete and
generalized case for it, and to discuss it on this list (or, more
appropriately, on SVG-Dev).  But please be advised that this is not
likely to be addressed by the SVG WG.  You have made other valuable
contributions, and I suggest that you devote your energies to issues
that are more appropriate for the scope and needs of SVG.

[1]
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_add_current_weather_to_my_website.html

Regards-
-Doug Schepers