Re: Applying SVG properties to non-SVG content

On Monday 21 July 2008 05:39, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 July 2008 01:08, Doug Schepers wrote:
> > > Personally, I see this as a high priority.  I think it should be
> > > started in a timeframe that allows Mozilla, Opera, and Safari to
> > > include this in upcoming product releases.
> >
> > I disagree. For me this is low priority.
> >
> > SVG exists. People can already make a fancy filter or gradient.
>
> But they can't apply them to CSS-formatted elements.

No, but they can use an SVG image as background in CSS or include one as
an IMG element in HTML.

Masking and clipping of text makes the text unreadable, so that is going
to be very rare. Using a filter can maybe occasionally be useful for a
heading, but people have been using images for that and they can
continue to do so a little longer, especially once we generalize
the 'content' property and those images can be scalable.

> > If after all that we still think that CSS isn't big enough, we can
> > discuss copying some features from SVG to CSS.
>
> The proposal doesn't do that. In fact, it is motivated by a strong
> desire to avoid copying features from one spec to another.

You're not introducing new syntax, but you do propose new features.
Their definition can (probably) remain in the SVG spec, but the fact
that they apply to the box model is new. And that means there is work
to do to define what boxes they apply to and how, check how they
interact with other features (existing and proposed), and write test
suites and test reports.

E.g., your proposal includes text for elements with more than one box: a
filter operates on the bounding rectangle of all boxes. But what if the
boxes are on different pages? What if they are rotated by the
proposed 'transform' property? And is a filter applied before or after
a relatively positioned box is positioned?

I really don't want to think about that now. I want to finish the things
that you can't do with SVG, such as positioning the list bullet
correctly next to a float, hyphenation, leaders, footnotes, drop caps,
grid layouts, etc.

> Is there some confusion here? Perhaps you should re-read the
> proposal? http://people.mozilla.com/~roc/SVG-CSS-Effects-Draft.html

Bert