Re: Applying SVG properties to non-SVG content

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:16 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>  There's also a strategic issue within the standards community. It seems
>> the "path of least resistance" to adding a single feature to a standard like
>> CSS (or SVG) is to just go ahead and extend CSS (or SVG) with a new spec for
>> that feature, rather than creating a dependence on another standard that has
>> that feature.
>>

> On the other hand if using the other standard would be clumsier than simply
> extending the original standard (as is the case with - for example -
> CSS-based gradients vs. being forced to link to an external SVG file just to
> do a gradient that is cleanly separated from your HTML presentationally),
> then I think that should be taken into consideration.

It certainly should, although in a sense doing everything in one standard is
always less clumsy than making two standards work together, so I wouldn't
want that to always be the clinching argument.

BTW a common scenario I think might emerge is that alongside a CSS
stylesheet you have a corresponding SVG file containing all the effects,
paint servers and vector artwork used by the stylesheet. I thnk this would
be a pretty good situation.

However I would not want to see this work used as an argument for preventing
> CSS from extending at all into territory that overlaps with SVG, since in
> many cases i think the CSS properties could integrate *back* into SVG (e.g.,
> CSS transforms).

Indeed.

> If the alternative would be extremely clumsy to specify in CSS, then I
> think integration with SVG is good.  However using SVG just to do
> syntactically simple effects (like transformations or gradients) is
> overkill.  (This doesn't mean we shouldn't support it as part of a more
> general mechanism, but we should not be afraid to invent "syntactic sugar"
> to make life more convenient for authors.)

I agree.

Rob
53:5-6]