Re: Tiny 1.2 and Key Identifiers

Hi, Julien-

Julien Reichel wrote (on 6/10/08 4:51 AM):
> Dear All,
>
> According to A.5.7 in SVG Tiny 1.2 Specs [1], KeyboardEvent are defined
> as a subset of the DOM level 3 KeyboardEvent [2]. However [2] specifies
> that:
>
> The keycodes Multiply, Add, Substract, Decimal, Separator, Divide,
> NumPad0, NumPad1, NumPad2, NumPad3, NumPad4, NumPad5, NumPad6, NumPad7,
> NumPad8, and NumPad9 are not part of this set. Use
> KeyboardEvent.keyLocation to know if a key originated from the numeric
> keypad.
>
> But the KeyboardEvent.keyLocation is not present in SVG 1.2 Tiny mDOM.
>
> How do I know if the pressed key is coming from the key pad in SVG 1.2
> Tiny ?

SVG 1.2 Tiny is intended for mobile devices, and it's not anticipated
(though certainly possible) that most such target devices would have a
separate keypad.  For SVG 1.2 Full, we plan to have the full DOM, and
KeyboardEvent.keyLocation will be available.

> Also note that the modifier keys are not present in KeyboardEvent of the
> SVG 1.2 mDOM. How do I know if the ctrl or shift key was pressed by the
> user ? How do I differentiate when the user presses the lower case 'a'
> or the upper case 'A' ?

This is actually being revisited in DOM3 Events.  We are considering
giving the full range of key values (for example, upper and lower case
characters) for key identifiers, depending on the modifier state.

I hope this satisfies your concerns?

Regards-
-Doug Schepers, on behalf of the SVG WG
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF