Re: SVGT 1.2 Tests: xml:space="preserve" in test text-align-201-t

On Thursday, April 17, 2008, 4:50:11 PM, Kalle wrote:

KR> Hi All,
KR>
KR> This issue might have similar solution as the line-increment
KR> for <tspan>, but here goes...
KR>
KR> In test text-align-201-t <tspan> element is given attribute
KR> xml:space="preserve". Whether this should be respected or not
KR> is not absolutely clear.

KR> Firstly, SVGT1.2 specification states that "SVG supports the
KR> standard XML attribute 'xml:space' to specify the handling of
KR> white space characters within a given text content block element's
KR> character data", and in
KR> <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/intro.html#TermTextContentBlockEle

KR> the term "text content block element" is explicitly defined to
KR> include only <text> and <textArea>. On the other hand, the
KR> "xml:space" attribute is listed in the attribute table
KR> <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/attributeTable.html#attribute_xml_

KR> for <tspan> and <tbreak> as well, indicating the (reasonable)
KR> assumption that it should be possible to control whitespace
KR> handling in all SVG's text elements.

Your email was discussed on todays SVG WG telcon, and we agree that your assumption is both reasonable and not explicit in the spec.
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/29-svg-minutes.html#item05

We plan to correct this inconsistency in the spec, bringing the spec text into alignment with the attribute table, by modifying the text as follows:

old:
SVG supports the standard XML attribute 'xml:space' to specify the handling of white space characters within a given text content block element's character data.

new:
SVG supports the standard XML attribute 'xml:space' to specify the handling of white space characters on the character data within a given text content block element and its children.

Would that clarify things sufficiently for you?

KR> Has this been already fixed in specification version that is
KR> under development?

KR> Yours,
KR>   - Kalle Raita
KR>

KR> Kalle Raita
KR> NVIDIA Corporation
KR> Tel. +358 40 723 1441
KR> kraita@nvidia.com
KR> http://eu.nvidia.com <http://eu.nvidia.com/>

KR> This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
KR> confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
KR> is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
KR> reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG