Re: SVG in text/html

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:37:15 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

>> Most tools do include XML prologs and DOCTYPES in their SVG output...
>> what affect will this have on a whole-file copy-paste into HTML, in
>> terms of parsing?
>
> You can't paste an XML declaration or a DOCTYPE in the middle of an
> XHTML+SVG document, so from the conformance point of view I don't think
> it is necessary to allow them to be pasted in the middle of text/html.
> As for what should happen if you paste them in nonetheless, I think the
> current behavior of the HTML5 parsing algorithm is reasonable: the XML
> declaration turns into a comment node and the doctype gets dropped.

To elaborate further: if the doctype had an internal subset, then the
doctype would end at the first >, effectively resulting in the characters
"]>" being shown on the page.

Entities would not be expanded. However, that's not a problem so long as
entities are only used for namespace declarations, since xmlns and xmlns:*
attributes are meaningless under Henri's proposal.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software