no-namespace href in SVG (was Re: @role in SVG)

Trimming Cc list...

On Oct 10, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:

>> If SVG got a built-in href='' also, it would put namespaces
>> completely out of sight except for the default incantation on the
>> root element.
>
> Well, that's worth considering, but again, out of scope for the
> topic of how to adopt @role in SVG.  It would require a considerable
> (and incompatible) rewrite of SVG, and I'm not at all convinced that
> that is really what is best for open standards in the face of market
> pressure. Can you supply justification for this, beyond purity of
> design?

I don't see how it would require major changes or incompatible
changes. Supporting both href and xlink:href would be compatible and
pretty minor change to the spec. I'm not sure if the increased ease of
authoring would be worth the transition cost, but I wouldn't dismiss
it out of hand.

Cheers,
Maciej