Re: direct link to latest version of S. Pieters' ARIA Proposal

Hi Doug,

Doug Schepers wrote:

>> So as far as I can tell 'roles' are specified on elements and it kind
>> of categorises them? right?
>
> Right, the 'role' attribute can be used to simply provide some semantics
> without any behavior, so you could label something as related to
> navigation, or as a banner ad, or pretty much any other categorization
> that people find useful.  The 'class' attribute could also be used this
> way, but that's more controversial, since some people think that CSS
> should only be used for styling, and that attaching semantics to it adds
> content.
>

>> If the above is correct, then I guess this gives implementations the
>> option to treat elements in a certain way according to their 'role'?
>
> Right again, in combination with the ARIA taxonomy, a UA can assign
> particular preset behaviors (including supplying user notifications and
> choices of actions) to elements so labeled.

Ahhh ok. I see. That makes sense.

>> Or again if the above is correct, a use case would be having an XSLT
>> to remove all of the elements that have 'navigation' 'role' when
>> printing?
>
> I don't think that's a primary use case in the minds of the designers,
> but neither do I think it's a violation of the spirit of it.  In fact,
> the 'role' attribute could take on special values that pertain
> specifically to print, and don't affect the on-screen rendering or
> interactive behavior at all.

Ahhh, of course.

> As I understand it, 'role' is meant to be pretty generic, though the
> XHTML2 WG has some clever uses for it already in mind.

Ok, nice! I'm curious to see the use cases that XHTML2 WG have - mainly
because this sounds very interesting.

>> Is my understanding correct... or have missed the boat completely?
>
> No, I think you just caught a different boat, but it's also traveling in
> a useful direction.  It's good to have people thinking in different
> directions.  That 'role' can be useful to offscreen uses (not just
> print, but pre- or post-processing, and for a variety of tasks with
> XSLT) reinforces that it is is useful to add.

No worries. It does seem like that it's something handy to have around.
Thanks for the feedback. I have a better understanding for the purpose
of 'role'.

Cheers,

Anthony