Re: [Inkscape-devel] [Inkscape-user] Equivalent to Illustrator's Gradient Mesh?

On Sat, 2007-05-26 at 15:28 +0900, Bill Baxter wrote:
> Using subdivision is probably the best way to improve the
> texture mapping from a coarse triangulation, though.  You'd only need
> one or two extra subdivision levels to make it look smooth, and all
> you have to store in the svg file is one number -- how many subdiv
> levels to apply for for texture mapping purposes.

I think what I'd want to do is simply specify the interpolation
function, and it should be left up to the user agent to choose the
approach used to render it.

One possibility certainly would be to approximate the blending function
via further subdivision of the specified mesh, but it should probably be
adaptive -- a fixed level of subdivision may be overkill for some areas
at the same time it's insufficient for others.  Anyway, I think that's
something we should leave to the user agent rather than specifying in
the SVG.

-mental