Re: SVG12: Confusing SVGLoad bubbling behavior note

Hi, Jonathan-

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Jonathan Watt wrote:
>> It has been my understanding that the text being replaced (deliberately for
>> performance reasons) meant that SVGLoad events have neither a capture nor a
>> bubble phase, but only an "at target" phase. Since SVGLoad events are dispatched
>> to _all_ element in the document - and SVG documents can be very large -
>> changing the specification to essentially say that SVGLoad events have a capture
>> phase has serious implications on the length of time it will take for SVG
>> documents to load.
>
> In the DOM Event Flow all events accomplish the capture phase. There is
> no reason why this would have considerable performance impact, you can,
> for example, memorize whether there are any capturing SVGLoad listeners
> in the document and if not, completely skip the event phase, or perform
> other optimizations. If you truly believe the DOM Event Flow should be
> so that some events accomplish the capture phase and others do not,
> please send a more detailed comment to public-webapi@w3.org making your
> case.

Bjoern makes a lot of sense here.  I talked about this issue at length
with Olli Pettay of Mozilla, and he expressed concern that the text we
are replacing implied that there was no capture phase; since all other
events have a capture phase, he opined that it would be an
implementation burden to make SVGLoad behave differently.  In light of
this feedback, I would be reluctant to omit the capture phase.

In any case, Bjoern was right in his original comment that the text was
unclear about capture phrase (and I am not certain what the intent was
myself).  This new text will lead to better interop.

That said, if you discover in implementing it that this truly causes a
performance hit, and that there isn't a way around it in your
architecture, let us know and we will reopen this issue to public feedback.

Regards-
-Doug

Research and Standards Engineer
6th Sense Analytics