Re: switch with systemLanguage is broken by standards

Hi, Jonathan-

Having read the errata process document [1] in more detail, I am no
longer certain that we will be able to justify issuing this as an
errata.  I still agree that my proposed change [2] to the behavior of
'switch' would work better, but it is arguably a new feature (on the
other hand, it could be argued that it is merely clearing up an
underspecification of an existing feature with regards to RFC-2616).
According to the errata process, this would at best be a class-3 change,
and at worst a class-4.  Class-3 would mean that most existing UAs would
no longer be conforming (which is not good), and class-4 would require
us to go all the way through the entire Recommendation process again
(which isn't going to happen on the strength of this issue).

I would like to think that better unification with RFC-2616 and
implementor feedback is a strong enough justification to try to change
this in SVGT1.2, but this is only my opinion.  I'm bringing it up at an
upcoming meeting.

At the very least, I will push for this to be in some later version of
the spec.

On the pro side, this is a bit of an edge case that is unlikely to break
existing content, and implementations could change pretty easily, for
the most part, if they are willing.  In the long term, this would be
beneficial to SVG i18n.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#errata
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2006Nov/0025.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#correction-classes